Wednesday, August 7, 2013

“Jackson For President: The Kiss of Death”

Leonard starts the essay by writing, “Jesse Jackson’s campaign for the Presidency suffered a major blow last Thursday night when I said I that would vote for him.” He goes on to make a good case for Jesse as one of the best candidates because Jackson actually takes and holds positions that people can understand, whether or not they agree - ironically, exactly the thinking that also makes him un-electable.

He basically makes the case that Jackson is committed and knowledgeable, the latter a fact that most voters refuse to admit. When I saw Jackson speak at an MLK Day event several years ago I came away, I have to admit, surprisingly impressed. Also interesting to be reminded that Jackson come in second in the 1988 primaries in two very white states, Maine and Minnesota. Maybe he was more electable than anyone thought.



Good quote from Leonard, “Symbolic thinking distinguishes us from corn starch, Diet Pepsi, Pringles and Spam.” I get the point but I wonder how he came up with that list?

New word: desideratum = something that is needed or wanted, a wish

New learning: Ezra Pound coined the phrase “Cloaked as with a cloth of ether.”


No comments:

Post a Comment