Monday, September 9, 2013

“Dan DeLillo: Who Killed John F. Kennedy? (The CIA)”

Leonard’s review of Dan DiLillo’s novel Libra  (1988). I’ve never read any DiLillo, but Leonard is a real fan. He describes the books as part history, part crime procedural and part para-normal. And Leonard likes the writing as well, “Libra is as choral as it’s cinematic.”

DeLillo’s protagonist in Libra (retired CIA Agent Nicholas Branch) thinks that the Warren Commission Report is “the megaton novel that James Joyce would have written if he’d moved to Iowa City and lived to be a hundred…” very interesting….I guess I should read at least one of his books (DeLillo, not Joyce).

I guess I should read at least one of his books (DeLillo, not Joyce). Leonard ends the piece with one of his, now patented, one sentence each summaries of the other DeLillo novels…gives me something to pick from.

New term: Dictabelt = old recording device from the 1940’s.



New learning: The CIA killed JFK….at least according to Nicholas Branch (…and, I guess Jim Garrison and Oliver Stone)



No comments:

Post a Comment