Friday, September 20, 2013

“Mary McCarthy: R.I.P.”

In memoriam of Mary McCarthy who, Leonard reminds us, Time magazine called, “quite possibly the cleverest America has ever produced.” Leonard calls writes, “…she had the sharpest teeth at the tea party,” and this was before “tea party” meant what it does in the politics of the now. He writes “If her novels lack the generosity of great literature, they are full of everything else that counts…she read everything, and was indignant about everything, and, yes, clever about everything.”

Great quote from McCarthy about drawing on real people for characters in her novels, “What I do is take real plums and put them in an imaginary cake.” I’ve never had plum cake, but the analogy works all the same. Never read McCarthy either. Will have to correct that sin of omission. Maybe I'll make A Bolt from the Blue my next project?

New word: Lycanthrope = werewolf


New learning: Leonard writes, “You must understand that I grew up reading The Nation, The New Republic and, especially, Partisan Review. (In this Southern California boyhood, I also subscribed to the Congressional Record so I’d have someone to talk to each afternoon when I came home from school).”…explains a lot.

Good article about McCarthy in the NYTs on the centennial of her birth (also a great picture, seems to capture the spirit Leonard was describing):



No comments:

Post a Comment