Friday, May 31, 2013

Final post from Hitches Arguably! Starting on a new book on Monday....

“Prisoner of Shelves”

An excellent (though very light) way to end the collection. Hitchens laments about how “bibliomania cripples my…life”. In his last paragraph he writes, “Some kind friends argue for a cull, to create more space and to provide an incentive to organize. All right, but I can’t throw out a book that has been with me for any length of time and thus acquired sentimental value, or that has been written by a friend, or that has been signed or inscribed by its author. I also can’t part with one that might conceivably come in handy as a work of reference, however obscure.” I know how he feels.

Hitchens with his books:


 
This essay has his best quote (should have been the tile to the collection), “But the thing is, you never know.” 


New learning: Bruce Chatwin has a novel titled Utz, …just like the potato chip company!...as the novel takes place in cold war Czechoslovakia, I don’t think there’s any relation.

New word: Porzellankrankheit = mania for porcelain acquisition








No comments:

Post a Comment